Dogs are often known for begging. Sometimes it can be really hard to resist feeding them whatever you’ve got nearby, especially when they devour it happily. However, it’s important to know that dogs have a very different digestive system than humans. Feeding your dog a healthy, balanced diet will keep them living longer. Here are seven of the worst food offenders for your dog!
With Halloween right around the corner, chocolate might be easier to find than water. Dogs should never consume any chocolate, and the darker it is, the worse it is. The theobromide chemical contained in chocolate could make your dog experience many of the same traits as a sick human. This could include vomiting, increased thirst, and more. Sugarless candy is also an offender. The Xylitol found in it could cause a drop in your dog’s blood sugar, and cause many of the same effects as chocolate.
Nuts are very high on the “avoid” list. Macadamia is the main type of nut to avoid. Just a small handful of Macadamia nuts could make your dog uncomfortable for up to 48 hours. This includes weakness in the legs, pain, and tremors. Even worse, it could be near fatal. You’re better off not letting your dog near most types of nuts – for example, almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc. are also dangerous. Your dog can eat peanut butter, but you should be buying it all-natural. It has less salt and sugar.
Raisins and Grapes
Raisins and grapes are notorious for causing kidney damage. Be careful if your dog consumes even a small amount, because the lethal dosage varies depending on the dog. Your dog could experience various gastrointestinal problems as soon as one day after eating raisins or grapes.
If you’ve ever eaten onions, you’re aware of the “kick” it gives your taste buds. It’s important to understand that dogs can’t handle onions as well as humans do. An onion on a piece of pizza that falls off the table probably won’t significantly harm your pet, but watch out for larger doses than that. Any large helping of onions, or even a little bit of onion served regularly is dangerous. Your dog could develop hemolytic anemia which leaves them short on oxygen.
Moldy and Old Food
There are many dog owners that think it’s less wasteful to give their dog moldy food. It’s not! Rotten fruit produces ethanol, and that’s associated with alcohol, which your dog cannot have. Other foods can contain toxins; this can lead to convulsions among other problems. Make sure your dog can’t access the trash, either.
Your dog might enjoy the cat food, and if they’ve had a little of it once in awhile, it’s not terrible. However, cat food typically contains more protein and fat, as well as different vitamins. Since dogs and cats have different digestive systems, your dog should be eating food specifically designed for them to avoid potential health problems.
A dog that’s continuously fed table scraps is getting an unhealthy, unbalanced diet. It’s okay for your dog to eat a couple of things that fall on the ground, but watch out for it happening regularly. A meal that you can’t finish is probably better off in the trash, despite it feeling wasteful.
This list includes some of the worst foods to feed your dog, but if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call your local veterinarian.
Lisa Podwirny is the owner of Ketchum Mfg. Connect with her on Google+!